ACPI and suspend

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Aug 23 02:50:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:08, Peter Boy <pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> Am So, den 22.08.2004 schrieb Russell Coker um 14:03:
> > The default configuration of ACPI on my Thinkpad T41p is that closing the
> > lid will turn off the back-light but leave the machine running.
> >
> > Is this the desired default behaviour?  I had expected that closing the
> > lid would give the same result that APM has always given and put the
> > machine into suspend mode.
>
> I use a T40p which uses as to my knowledge the same power saving
> technology (only a different processor).
>
> Well, that bebaviour is not desired  :-). There is a problem with the
> current ACPI implementation in Linux that lacks implementation of the
> client side of ACPI. And there are some inconsistencies between the
> Linux ACPI implementation and the IBM Bios (you can see corresponding
> warnings im /var/log/messages - search for ACPI).

I just tried "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep" and got the following error in the
kernel message log:

PM: Preparing system for suspend
Stopping tasks: ===================================================|
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.7 to 64
Could not suspend device 0000:00:1d.7: error -5
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:1f.1[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
Restarting tasks... done

Running "lspci | grep 1d.7" gives the following:
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB 2.0 EHCI
Controller (rev 01)

So it seems that I have some USB issue.  I've used a USB flash device (it's my
boot device so it got scanned at boot even though I never used it for
anything), but nothing on the USB bus is active at the time of the suspend
attempt.

> The easiest way is to suspend ACPI (acpi=no in /etc/grub/grub.conf)

acpi=off.  Thanks for the suggestion, that is working for me now.  But
eventually I'd like to use ACPI, I think it's the way of the future (and it
allows me to suspend all the bits I don't use - in theory at least).