ACPI and suspend

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Aug 23 09:09:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 18:44, Peter wrote:
> Am Mo, den 23.08.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 3:54:
> > > The easiest way is to suspend ACPI (acpi=no in /etc/grub/grub.conf)
> > > which automatically starts up apmd which will do the job. Otherwise you
> > > have to develop the client side script for your own (see as as an
> > > example /etc/acpi/events/sample.conf). But all the messages I read about
> > > this issue say there is no good solution available yet.
> >
> > I would have to disagree with you on that. A client side script can be
> > written and implemented. It, to me, give you, the user much greater
> > flexibility. (that is assuming that you know how to write one, but it
> > isn't so difficult to google is it?)
>
> It's not so difficult to write a script, but it seems to be diffficult
> to find / develope a workaround for several inconveniences with the
> thinkpad bios. With the T40/T41 acpid does not recognize the <Fn><F3>
> button for switching off the backlit not the <Fn><F12> for suspend to
> disk. But to be honest I never tried it for myself after reading about
> all the probs on various mailing lists.

Hmm.. I can't speak for the IBM. But for the Dell D600, i've got the
fn+Esc (suspend to disk) to work. and the fn+PgUp/PgDn/End(volume) to
work. not tried the CRT/LCD/Batt. (Eve the wifi key works. Fn+F3 but
unfortunately does not tell you that it's working graphically but if you
do a ping, you'll see it time out)

> > For me, I don't use the close-lid thing to suspend the machine. I use it
> > to just turn off the LCD which is Good For me. (since S3 does not work
> > on my machine(D600) yet)
> >
> > I've gotten S4 to work well using acpi and has never tried apm.
>
> I would appreciate if you could post your solutions here.

I would have to say that this might be a bit OT, since I am running FC2
and not the FC3T version.

here's how I did it.

Stock 2.6.7 vanilla kernel (only patch applied is the interactive patch)

Main thing is to compile the network/usb as modules and remove it before
going down.)

For some reason, Mysql doesn't want to go down. it needs to be shut
down.

Works Fairly Well for me.

This is legacy from my RH9/2.4/2.6 kernel days so some things may be
obsolete.

Here's my /etc/acpi/handle.pl script.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel