NetworkManager?

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Mon Aug 23 15:25:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 11:07 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:19:28AM -0400, Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> > I installed NetworkManager and I can't seem to get it to do anything. It
> > dhcp's my eth0, dhclient breaks my resolv.conf, and I can't get any
> > NetworkManager windows to come up. I've tried NetworkManager and
> > NetworkManagerInfo. I get errors like this:
>
> Something isn't setting the path properly. Try
>
> PATH=/sbin:$PATH NetworkManager
>
> [horribly ugly capitalisation unlike any other desktop or gnome tool should
>  be fixed too IMHO its system-network-manager ;)]
>
> If that works file a bug.
>
> Alan

Somewhat better:

sh-3.00$ PATH=/sbin:$PATH NetworkManager
SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not
supportednm_create_device_and_add_to_list(): adding device
'eth0' (wired)
nm_device_activation_cancel(eth0): canceled
Nothing to flush.
Nothing to flush.
dhclient: no process killed
sh-3.00$ nm_dbus_get_networks():
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks raised There were are no
trusted networks stored.
nm_dbus_get_networks(): org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks
raised There were are no preferred networks stored.
Best wired device = (null)
Best wireless device = (null)  (null)
Best wired device = eth0
Best wireless device = (null)  (null)
nm_state_modification_monitor(): beginning activation for device 'eth0'
nm_device_activation_worker (eth0) started...
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not permitted
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Network is
unreachable
SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
Stopping nscd: /usr/sbin/nscd: Only root is allowed to use this option!
[FAILED]
Starting nscd: [  OK  ]
touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/nscd': Permission denied
nm_device_activation_worker(eth0): device activated
nm_state_modification_monitor() activated device eth0

but still no GUI or anything.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |