no USB jump/flash drive support yet

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Aug 24 11:42:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:08, "Robert G. (Doc) Savage" <dsavage at peaknet.net>
wrote:
> Both of my thumb drives appear as /dev/sda and work perfectly. Other
> folks have reported their thumb drives appear as /dev/sda1. And there
> are some truly evil thumb drives that require Windows security drivers
> to access them. Has that possibility been ruled out?

Partitioning a flash disk is optional.  If you run mkfs on /dev/sda (thus
removing /dev/sda1) then you will get an extra 30K of data storage.  Doing
this may make it more difficult to access the device from other OSs, and
makes it more difficult to make the device bootable (I couldn't get grub to
install after making a file system on /dev/sda and had to go back
to /dev/sda1).