messagebus/eggcups high cpu usage -- glxgears slow

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sat Aug 28 17:54:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 10:31:05AM -0700, Steve G wrote:
> This confirms one of my suspicions about dbus. I was looking to write a DOS
> attack against it since it has 0777 permissions for its listening socket. I
> suspect eggcups is doing too much broadcasting of its status, but I'm not 100%.

Any publically accessible AF_UNIX stream socket is a local DoS so no doubts
about that. I believe it was Dan Bernstein who essentially proved this when
showing that socket options to query the other end of the connection are
insufficient.

The same is true of syslog of course and its pretty hard if not impossible
to resolve except by the use of kernel level system resource management.