CUPS definately hosed

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 22:49:58 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > Something *is* up with cups though. If I try to use system-config-
> > printer, the entire machine locks up, lots of HD thrashing and no
> > action. I have to switch the machine off to get things working again.
>
> Are you sure its cups? and not something hardware specific that cups
> just happens to set off?  I can start the system-config-printer
> dialog without the cups service running.

cups worked yesterday on the 2.6.8-1.503 kernel and not today under the
532 kernel. I have done a cups shutdown and then restart. Massive lag,
lots of HD thrashing then everything died and I needed a power reset to
get back to normal.

On boot, took ages to get past the cups start up.

I've done an update to the 533 kernel and will see what that does.

I still suspect a problem with cups.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our