/usr has vanished

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Dec 1 04:55:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 06:10:20PM -0500, gslink wrote:
> You forget something.  ALL bug reports MUST be properly documented.  You
> can't just report that it doesn't work.  The cost of a usefull bug
> report is anywhere from $500 to $15000 for a bug such as this because it
> is necessary to spend the time to find out what is really wrong.  Some
> of these bugs cost so much we can't afford to report them.  That was the
> case here.  It is simply not obvious what code is actually causing this
> problem.  We have several of these problems but all are going to need
> lots of digging even to get a case that fails every time and a bug that
> can't be reproduced is not the proper subject of a bug report.

That's not necessarily the case for an open-source project. Many other
people may be experiencing similar problems, and by reporting it, you give a
starting point for bringing those people together to all contribute their
experiences -- maybe dividing that $15,000 of work over 1500 users, which
doesn't seem so bad.