Unable to boot my system totally - please help!

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 12:21:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

> Without actually knowing what the problem is, the first move would
> be to boot off your first install CD and select the sort of
> "recovery mode" boot.

Will try that

> The boot filesystem must be accessible to grub otherwise it cannot
> show you the stuff from /boot/grub/grub.conf.  I would boot into the
> recovery install kernel and look carefully at my
> /boot/grub/grub.conf to see if it is giving the correct partition to
> boot from.

I'm starting to wonder if there has been something in the latest rawhide. The
system was installed with FC 2.91 (IIRC, FC3t2) and has been kept up to date
with rawhide since then. It isn't formatted to be using VolGroup00/LogVol00,
but to be using the more conventional /dev/hdax.

It's either that or when I asked someone else to install the kernel, they used
rpm -Uv and ignored the postun (etc) errors... Now that will have screwed
things up!

I doubt the MBR is shafted as the machine is booting to grub, though I have
noticed that /dev/hda1 does have a very old version of the system files in it,
which makes me wonder if something is getting a wee bit confused.

Anyway, more when I know - thanks for this much.

TTFN

Paul