Rawhide 20041204 destroys vital system symlinks

Dave Mack dmack at leviatron.com
Sun Dec 5 17:10:53 UTC 2004

I yum updated against my rsynced rawhide tree this morning and rebooted.
The result was an unusable system. Many of the shared library symlinks
in /lib and /usr/lib are gone. I would advise against updating your
rawhide machines until the rpms responsible for this damage are taken
out and shot.

If you're already toast, booting from the rescue cd will allow you to
get into /mnt/sysimage/lib and create the symlink to libtermcap.so.2
that bash needs to run. After that, it's a matter of going in and fixing
the missing symlinks when things break, which is often.