more sound and other misc.

Cam Desautels cam at apt2324.com
Mon Dec 6 09:56:58 UTC 2004

Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> i've had numerous flavors of fc1, fc2, and fc3 on three different
> machines with sound cards ... and so far have been never been able to
> get sound working.

Really?  I've had much better luck getting sound working in Fedora than
in other distros...

> i just installed fc3 on new vaio vgn-a200 (wiped clean, no dual-boot)
> ... got the wireless working (with the 2200 add-in stuff) and the
> controller giving ac & battery information (again following various
> directions gleaned from using search engine). however, i've abeen
> unsuccesful getting linux sound support working on this machine (sound
> is active since the bios does a little tune on power-up).

Well, give some symptoms and maybe someone can sort it out. When you say
that it doesn't work, do you get an error?  Does sound simply not come out?

Is your alsamixer muted? That is a common one.  Does the user in
question have permission to write to the sound device?

--
Cam Desautels <cam at apt2324.com>      ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
http://www.BinaryUprising.com         against HTML e-mail   X