disklabel

Manu Abraham manu at kromtek.com
Sun Dec 12 12:16:02 UTC 2004

Hi,
	I had a machine running RH9 and a 120GB SATA HDD. The HDD was ailing and
occassionally giving out sector not found {Drive ready,Seek failure} errors.
So i thought it was time to move in to FC3 and a new 160GB SATA HDD.

Bootup of FC3 gave me a kernel crash, and an error complaining about
suggesting acpi=off, but even with acpi=off, still gave me the same warning
and a crash..

I then later on figured that the SATA Enhanced mode operation would be a
problem and switched it to compatibility mode. The motherboard is an ASUS
P4C800, Intel 875 chipset.. Lo it worked....

That went fine through.... No problems even though initially i thought not to
edit /etc/fstab by hand because it was generated by fstab-sync ? I went on to
edit it by hand...

Everything went smoothly...

Now i figured that i required some files more were there on the old HDD, than
compared to the backup i had...

I plugged in the OLD SATA HDD has Primary Slave, and the NEW SATA HDD as
Primary master.

The initscripts failed stating about duplicate LABEL=/, LABEL=/boot,
LABEL=/work...

and a hung system...

I know that if i modify the disklabels to actual device names my problems
would be solved...

But, what i would like to know is whether a graceful way of doing it exists,
without much hassle... I know that this is not much of an issue, but still
thought it would be better if i posted the problem...

Manu