FC4 ISO suggestion

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Tue Dec 14 10:57:56 UTC 2004

On 2004 12 13 (Monday) 03:46, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I would like to suggest that fedora adopt jigdo as a supported
> distribution method for fc4.
>
> With Debian - if someone I know needs CD's - it's not a problem that
> what I have are DVD iso's, I just mount a dvd image and tell jigdo to
> scan it when it makes the CD iso's and since the packages are the same,
> I get perfect CD iso's with very little downloading - and the mirror I
> choose doesn't have to have the iso's on it.
>
> This would also rapidly decrease the amount of downloading needed to go
> from fc4t1 -> fc4t2 -> fc4t3 -> fc4
>
> Only packages that have changed between the releases would need to be
> redownloaded because jigdo can scan the rpm's from your previous iso's.
>
> Using jigdo to update from iso's from fc3 to fc4 probably does not make
> much sense, as most if not all of the packages will have changed, but
> using jigdo to get a fresh fc4 does make sense because your mirror only
> needs the rpm's, it doesn't need the iso's - and it's a nice solution
> where you can't use bt. And you can just download the dvd through bt
> and then easily make md5sum matching cd iso's from the dvd iso.

    Is there a RFE in bugzilla about this? I would like to see jigdo
in fedora too... I extract the rpms from the iso files, but without
jigdoI see no way to do CDs <-> DVD, rpms -> CDs and rpms -> DVD.
The mirrors can also save about 2/3 of the download if I get the
idea right...

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79