yum error of extras

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Dec 17 13:19:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:58:16 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Ah, sweet irony.
> >
> > No irony here, just an incomplete change and commit by somebody.
>
> The irony is that it still bites almost 2 years after nobody wanted to
> have it in the first place and it still ended up in the official policy
> because of a misinterpreted JBJ comment. Simplicity and implicitly.

No, no, no. It does not. aalib and aalib-devel were working fine.
Just imagine that the package had had "Epoch: 1" already.

Look at the CVS diff between revision 1.3 and 1.4. Matthias dropped
"Epoch: 0" while doing a version bump, but forgot to drop %epoch in
the rest of the same file. The package broke itself.

This has nothing to do with old discussions on explicit Epoch.

Btw, there are people who think it is a mistake to drop "Epoch: 0"
again. So until there will be a policy about this, you will see
packages which keep the explicit Epoch and others where packagers drop
it. What a weird world we live in. :)