Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Dec 17 17:11:45 UTC 2004

> How would you distinct
>
> >   foo-1.0-1.fc3.zork.i386.rpm
> >   foo-1.0-1.fc3.dag.i386.rpm

I wouldn't. They wouldn't be in the same repository. And if they're in
different repositories then they'll have different checksums/pkgids.

> if both zork and dag were ommitted ? You don't think it's useful, I think
> it helps.

nope. Just means a user thinks something is from somewhere by looking at
the filename, not looking at the content or the signature.

> If you use different repositories and there's no coordination, there's no
> proper way to compare the release tags anyway. The discussion about either
> the disttag or the vendortag are useless.

not really. It's a start to figuring out how to revert 'release' back to
a useful field.

> > It's, at best, an easy false positive match and it reduces
> > available namespace for items usable in the release tag.
>
> "It reduces available namespace for items usable in the release tag" ??
>
> Can't compute, please elaborate.

It limits the possible items that can be put in the release field.

You pollute the namespace by adding non-release-numbering data there.
ie: .dag., .fr., .fdr.

it's just extra cruft that makes it harder to discern what is
real/useful.

-sv