Re: Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:27:57 -0500, John Dennis <jdennis redhat com> wrote:

> I agree with Dag here, at the moment if one tries to compare packages
> between two distinctly different distributions the comparison is
> meaningless.

Fine... so take any distro branding out of any rpm tags that actually
are part of a comparative process.  If its meaningless to compare the
distrotags as part of the epoch,version,release process don't confuse
the process by overloading those tags with extra meaningless meaning.

> That fact however does not diminish the usefulness of having the
> distribution name encoded in the rpm name for the benefit of human
> beings.

That's fine.... if its generally recognized as important... lets stop
using it as a hack and change rpm build behavior to include a new tag
in the filename meant explicitly to give human readable origin
information that is not used in release number comparisons.

-jef