Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 03:18:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:44:49 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> Similarly how would you decide if zelda or zork should be used. There's no
> logic to it. That's why the repotag is at the end, if it's up to the
> repotag to decide what to happen it's already a lost case anyway.

Maybe you missed my point... i tend to be too subtle sometimes.....
i want rpm fixed to  actually use vendor information so when updates
are calculated.. the vendor comes into the calculation in a different
way than release number. Until we actually FIX rpm to have a native
undestanding of package heritage from a vendor  when doing an
upgrade...then yes...  all of this nashing of teeth about multi-vendor
dynamics is a lost cause.     I want rpm to be fixed to have a deep
understand that packages can come from different vendors and that
vendor-ness  is essentially different than release-ness.

In my pathetic little world rpm --Fvh should be able to work on a
collection of packages from different vendors and rpm should be able
to pick out updates that are from the save vendor as packages i have
installed.... this is intuitive to me... and something i expect from a
package system designed to deal with multiple vendors.

-jef"refining the art of using a baseball bat as a subtle instrument
of communication"spaleta