Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun Dec 19 03:45:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:44:49 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:55:26 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> > > Jeff, give an example where it confuses the version comparison or shut up.
> >
> > Shall I construct an example using rpm -Fvh  using  packages using the
> > zork and zelda disttag thrown into a directory? the distrotags do
> > affect comparison if the distrotag continues to be a part of the
> > release tag.
>
> This is of no value as I explained before. Remove both zork and zelda from
> the release-tag and there still is no good reason to prefer release '3'
> over release '2' since there's no relation.
>
> Similarly how would you decide if zelda or zork should be used. There's no
> logic to it. That's why the repotag is at the end, if it's up to the
> repotag to decide what to happen it's already a lost case anyway.
>
> Thus the release tag has little value if you have different repositories
> without relation or coordination. And even with some coordination it may
> not matter (as Michael pointed out).

Unfortunately you twist my words here. Referring to release (!) tags,
I asked why release 3 from repo A should upgrade release 3 from repo
B?  It only does because a repo tag is included in the release tag and
becomes the most significant portion when the rest is equal. When that
happens (and not only then) we have a problem. You know my view on
repositories which upgrade eachother of overlap eachother in an
undefined way -- and I don't really wish to pound on it endlessly.

> Repotags are only involved when mixing repositories and in those cases the
> release tag has limited use.

When repositories are mixed and the repo tag of multiple versions
of a package becomes the least significant part of RPM version
comparison, than that's the least important problem (but still
an issue which is beyond the scope of this thread).