Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Dec 19 13:59:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Users don't complain about implementation details. They want the whole
> > > thing to "just work". They don't care what magic is used to make one
> > > package be seen as newer than another. You could even use the internal
> > > Epoch as a serial number (like old "Serial:" tag is still used by some
> > > people). Users complain as soon as the whole thing breaks or results in
> > > unexpected behaviour (such as compatible repositories upgrading eachother
> > > unnecessarily).
> >
> > No no, most of the users do want a disttag and repotag. This mailinglist
> > does not reflect that because very few people here are actual users.
>
> What an irony. I bet those users are mislead by the repotag inflation and
> don't consider looking for alternatives. Tell users how to query vendor,
> distribution and signature fields, after those are used properly by
> all parties involved.

No no, read the list of advantages. None of the proposed work-arounds
offer the same set of advantages.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-December/msg00498.html

> > Yes, my first paragraph was wrong, for some reason I thought fedora.us
> > finally decided to have disttags.
>
> Funnily, they have had disttags since day one, because it is implemented
> in the buildsystem: rh80 -> rh90 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 in right-most part of
> release. I'm not going into a loop with regard to discussing them.

Ok. But 1 and 2 is very Fedora centric and has no purpose in the larger
scale of things that exist. How would one know whether 3 means FC3 or EL3?

It's out of scope for Fedora Extras and therefor unacceptable as a
scheme to me and others. (Consider also Aurora, Yellow Dog, and other
projects that perfectly fit inside the same Extras work)