What Packages in Fedora you be thankful of?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Dec 22 01:29:52 UTC 2004

I'm thankful for -

yum
Using it on YDL before I ever used Fedora, but it makes life so much
easier. Thanks Seth for continued improvement

AbiWord and Gnumeric
First class office apps imho - I remember when at work, I had an x86
linux box and a Linux iMac. I use to have to run MOL on the iMac to run
Mac Office 98 because gnumeric (RH 6 or 7) would create excel files
that the rest of the company could not read - unless I exported to csv
or something, which wasn't as useful (we never got excel 97 to work in
wine in RH - though it was suppose to)

Now - AbiWord and Gnumeric - first class in their own right, and work
extremely well with MS Office created documents as well. I think
Gnumeric is actually superior to Excel even for Secretary Jane. I sure
find it easier to use than MS Excel (which I think is the best product
they make)

kudzu - it just keeps getting better and better all the time.
I use to really hate kudzu and preferred to do things myself. Congrats
to the hardware detection people.

system-switch-mail - nice to make it so easy to dump sendmail in favor
of postfix.

system-config-* - much better than linuxconf ever hoped to be. I hated
linuxconf, but the system-config-* apps are actually nice to use.

Linux Kernel - this is the first time I've gone for over a month since
a distro was released that I don't feel compelled to compile my own.
Well, first time since I learned how to do it ...

Last but most certainly not least - the one thing that excites me about
Linux the most - GStreamer and related apps.

I'm a GStreamer fan boy - I admit it, those developers are cool
(seriously - read their blogs on planet gstreamer - they _are_ cool :D)

GStreamer is one of the big pieces to the puzzle that imho Linux really
needs in order to be a viable desktop operating system for the common
user. That's where I want to see Linux penetrate market the most - the
home user. I think GStreamer is one of the pieces of the puzzle that
really can make that happen.

A big thank you to the GStreamer team, and the GStreamer developers on
this list.

What do I want for Christmas?

An iPod.

What else?

jigdo distribution planned for Fedora Core 4 :D