Re: Status of Adaptec Hostraid support.

Alan Cox writes:

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:14:56PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>The raid card issues go back years actually - AHA hostraid stuff like
>the IDE raid hasn't been Linux supported, smarter stuff has been well
>supported.

Well then, so much for Adaptec???

Adaptec hw raid stuff is supported (aacraid etc) but to be honest hardware

Oh, I get it now. Adaptec's Hostraid line isn't really hardware raid, it still needs host OS support.

Well, it did look like hardware RAID at first (up until the point when I actually tried to boot Fedora). After enabling RAID, subsequent POST enumerated a single device, on the lowest SCSI ID of the two drives.

That still leaves the question of a working SCSI hardware raid card.  I'm
open to suggestions.  Some Googling brings up occasional reports of random
glitches with software raid; so I'd still prefer a hardware raid solution.

I've got 3ware bits - which work nicely, and aacraid - which works pretty well although it doesnt like some of the RH kernels. You can pick up decent aacraid cards (quad channel perc2/qc aka "Obsidian") on ebay.

I can't find SCSI stuff on 3ware.com. They look to be in the business of ATA RAID only.

Looks like my only option appears to be LSI Megaraid 320-1.

/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2140.nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid.o

That should work..