Re: Compiling gnome 2.5.3

PFJ said the following on 02/06/04 08:22:
Hi,

I'm 99% certain that there is something rather amiss with the rawhide
rpms of the gnome 2.5.3 branch. I say that as when I used the rawhide
versions, a normally very stable machine became unstable in places. When
I compiled them myself (so I could get Evolution to work), things became
more stable again.

It could just be me though.

I've now downloaded the entire source tree for the 2.5.3 branch (the
Gnome website says 2.5.4 should have been out a few days back). Is there
any particular order in which I need to compile the sources or can I
start at a and go through to z. I imagine it would be a good idea to
compile the lib* directories first.

TTFN

Paul

I have a few problems with the rawhide rpms as well, but after some help from the mailing lists it is - while not yet perfect - in a a least working condition. My biggest beef was the not working trash which got fixed by changing a line in /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_VFS_Daemon.server (thanks again, sangu)

<oaf_info>

<oaf_server iid="OAFIID:GNOME_VFS_Daemon_Factory"
        type="exe" location="/usr/src/build/345256-i386/install/usr/
libexec/gnome-vfs-daemon">

------
modified GNOME_VFS_Daemon.server file

<oaf_info>

<oaf_server iid="OAFIID:GNOME_VFS_Daemon_Factory"
        type="exe" location="/usr/libexec/gnome-vfs-daemon">

so I am not that desperate to compile gnome by hand :-). As for the compilation order, you can't just go off and compile it in any order :-) There is a guide for 2.4 which should be valid for 2.5 as well : http://www.karubik.de/gig/ . Or you can try to use GARNOME or jhbuild. As for me, I'll just wait :-)

Good luck

:: Marcus