Re: Soundcard VIA ac97 doesn't work

Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:
Em Sáb, 2004-02-07 às 22:18 -0500, Jim Cornette escreveu:

Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:

When I try to run /usr/bin/system-config-soundcard to configure my soundcard on Fedora Core 1 with the latest kernel 2.6.1 from rawhide, I get the following error:

The via82cxxx_audio driver could not be loaded. This soundcard may not be compatible with Red Hat Linux.

When I run system-config-soundcard I get this error. My soundcard is working. System-config soundcard is not working properly yet.

You might try to look up information regarding your card and alsa drivers. My card needs oss emulation drivers to work.

I used this information from a post that Warren Togami posted earlier. I believe that the oss emulation drivers are common links, regardless of the card selected. You might try loading the modules for OSS emulation. (And file a bug report, initscripts and system-config-soundcard)

What exactly is on your modules.conf, and what kernel modules do you
call at system startup?

Thanks for your help,
Thiago

/etc/modules.conf contains:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 ne2k-pci
# Note: for use under 2.6, changes must also be made to modprobe.conf!
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

/etc/modprobe.conf contains:

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 && /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

But to get sound to actualy function using the 2.6 kernel. I had to add the other stuff to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
modprobe snd-seq-oss
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
modprobe snd_intel8x0

This is a development installation and I haven't used a 2.4 kernel on the system. Looking through the output lists above. It looks like snd-intel8x0 does not work but snd_intel810 does. I did not have sound until I addemodprd the later.

A partial output of lsmod shows these related to sound. I'm a bit confused with the underscore or the dash in the module names.

snd_ac97_codec 51716 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart 8960 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi 26784 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_pcm_oss 53412 0
snd_pcm 105348 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 12676 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss 19200 2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss 35968 0
snd_seq_midi_event 9216 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 61200 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 28420 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9096 3 snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd 53988 14 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 10720 2 snd

Jim

--
A friend of mine won't get a divorce, because he hates lawyers more than he
hates his wife.