Re: FC1 -> FC2 upgrade and LVM

On Feb  7, 2004, Jeremy Katz <katzj redhat com> wrote:

> Sure, the LVM1 volumes should be found in anaconda

Unless the physical volumes are raid 1 devices, in which case lvm
vgscan will fail because it will find not only the raid devices
themselves, but also the raid members, and will thus reject them all.
I suppose this could happen for other forms of raid too.

Ideally, lvm should be clever enough to skip the components of raid
devices, and only scan devices that are no raid members (not even of
other raid devices).  Failing that, anaconda has to create a filter
list for /etc/lvm/lvm.conf before it runs lvm vgscan at install time,
and propagate that not only to the installed root filesystem, but also
to the initrd (which would take a patch for mkinitrd).  I've written
such a patch (for mkinitrd), in case anyone's interested.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva {lsd ic unicamp br, gnu.org}
Red Hat GCC Developer                 aoliva {redhat com, gcc.gnu.org}