Dell Lattitude CPx Battery Shutdown

I've tried both an upgrade and a fresh install. It appears that when I boot up with the battery in, the system will shut down shortly after detecting file systems (modprobe time?).

If the battery is ejected, the system will boot all the way. Is there anything else I need to test for in order to bugzilla this? The behavior is reproducable, I just don't know exactly when. Can ACPI be disabled to test if that's the case?

Also - cannot seem to compile the madwifi driver - no vmlinux exists with /lib/modules/<version>/build - should there? The driver has exceptions for a 2.6 kernel within the Makefile, but I'm not familiar enough with 2.6 to know what's right/wrong just yet.
--
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson medata com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)