Re: missing boot disk.img

It creates a problem for those with large numbers of machines w/o CD-ROM drives. Many motherboard+fedora combos can't boot successfully from a USB CDROM ; yet it's trivially easy to walk around with a USB floppy and run your installs from that (when paired with a local kickstart file, or even a remote one).

Of course, the eventual solution is to NetBoot with PXE and run kickstart off of that with your DHCP server -- but lots of folks aren't quite there yet or don't need that kind of infrastructure.

Perhaps there would be a way to keep an older kernel for the boot floppy OS, but allowing the updated anaconda scripts to install FC2. All we're really doing is trampoline-ing until we can load the stage2.img over the network, right?

JC Cleaver

At 12:11 PM 2/13/2004, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:03:57PM +0100, Gerrit wrote:

> according to images/README, there should be a file bootdisk.img. But
> there isn't. I want to install from network and creating a bootflop is
> so much easier than a boot-cdrom...

I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob... Which distribution are you
trying to install? For FC1 AMD64, and every arch under FC2 bootdisk.img is
gone, the kernel is now too big to fit on a floppy.

Justin