Garzik and the libata (SATA) committee

Well here we are FC2 test 1 and guess what? We don't have a viable work around to install FC2 test 1 from ISO.

Don't know just what happened, however when I went to employ my FAVORITE standby work around to getting
a Red Hat install (from 9 on) to work with my Promise FastTrack controller. It bombed!

Here was the work around for FC1 from http://www.fys.ku.dk/~esban/promise376.html

Put the RH9 CD in your cdrom and reboot your computer. When you get to the installation bootloader, type "linux noprobe"
on the command line (without the")

At some point you wille be asked if you have any driverdisks. When this happens pres CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to
the shell. Do the following:

mkdir floppy
mount /dev/fd0 floppy
mkdir tmp
cp floppy/insmod tmp/
cp floppy/ft3xx.o tmp/
umount floppy
./tmp/insmod -f tmp/ft3xx.o

You the get a warning, but hopefully no error message!

Press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get back to the installation

Continue the installation as usual....

Be sure to configure grub to include your old installation

Step3: Fixing the installation

Now RH9 is installed, but when you boot it you get some message that tells you that the root filesystem couldn't be mounted.
Boot your old system.

do a insmod ft3xx.o once you have booted, and mount the RAIDed partitions /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, ... to some where

copy ft3xx.o to new_root/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/scsi/ where new_root is the RAID partition

add this line to /etc/modules.conf and to new_root/etc/modules.conf

alias scsi_hostadapter ft3xx

do a

depmod -a -C new_root/etc/modules.conf -b new_root/lib/modules/ 2.4.20-8 (it this doesn't work read man depmod)

ln -s new_root/lib/modules/2.4.20-8 /lib/modules

use mkinitrd to make a new ramdisk
mkinitrd new_root/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8_ft.img 2.4.20-8

edit new_root/boot/grub/grub.conf
to use the new ramdisk
Reboot the system!

Now even with copying the tainted drivers sata_promise.o and scsi_mod.o to diskette in place of the ft3xx.o, this routine WON'T
work with FC2 Test 1 install iso's.

GREAT! If anyone knows of a fix to this total TRAVESTY let me know.

RaXeT