file types in Nautilus?

I am reasonally happy with the right-click browse version of Nautilus.
But...What happened to Nautilus's use of file types?

It used to be that eg. shell scripts and configuration files were
recognized as simple text files. With a double click they were shown in
a text viewer.
Now they are all (even real text files without a .txt extension) are
seen as "Unknown filetype". No quick viewing anymore.

I hope I missed a config item. Can anybody tell me?

henk