Re: FC2 test1 and KVM switch

Gene C. wrote:

On Sunday 15 February 2004 14:13, Rick Johnson wrote:

Gene C. wrote:

OK, I know, I know that Red Hat does not support the use of KVM switches.

But, some of use depend on them.

Is anyone experiencing problems with FC2 test1 and a KVM switch.

I am using a Belkin 4 port Omni Cube and have had zero problems with it
and previous releases.  With FC2 test1, when I first install and boot the
system up everything works fine.

However, if I switch to another system and then back to the FC2 test1
system,   the mouse starts jumping all over the screen.  The keyboard and
monitor seem to work fine.

The mouse is a PS2 interface Logitech TrackMan Wheel.

Anyone else seeing this (or positively NOT seeing it)?

This has been a problem since Red Hat 7.whatever. The issue is with the
IMPS/2 mouse driver. I've found that switching away from the TTY and
back to it almost always clears it up. i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F8, then Alt+F7 (or
Ctrl+Alt+F7). This is a "workaround" I've lived with when using any
Belkin/Dlink/etc. KVM based on the same basic chipset with almost any
Linux and the IMPS/2 driver. That, or you can switch to a different
mouse driver (i.e. PS/2) and expect "normal" behavior.

Never had a problem before. I just check the XF86Config for FC1 and FC2 and both specify IMPS/2. Switch to any VT does nothing.

In addition, when I am on a console (e.g., VT1) and I move the trackball, I get messages of the form:

psmouse.c: Explorer Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost syncronization, thowing 2 bytes away.

see: Linux: 2.6 Input Drivers FAQ http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2199

Problem:
~~~~~~~~

When I switch my KVM, my PS/2 mouse goes all crazy.

Solution:
~~~~~~~~~

Use psmouse.proto=bare on the kernel command line, or proto=bare on the
psmouse module command line.