Re: FC2 First Impressions (Nautilus, Sound and Evolution)

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

Because a system without a user shoudln't make a beep (IMO), and each user
has its idea of a right volume and his desktop environment should restore it
on login.

I just subscribed, so I'm getting in in the middle of this, but IMO ALSA defaulting to volume 0 at first boot should be considered a bug. Sigh... This could only happen in Linux/Unix.

As to restoring the user's settings, yes, of course. But most nontechnical users will simply assume that sound doesn't work with the current default.

That said, I think the default should be well below 50% volume. Otherwise, we give Aunt Tillie a heart attack. ;-)

-Steve