Re: artsd

"David Finch" <fedora mytsoftware com> wrote:

> What would cause artsd to have a 90% or so idle cpu usage? I
> noticed it after getting an erratic frame rate of 1-10fps in Tux
> Racer. After killing the process I got a very smooth frame rate.
>
> I've got artsd version 1.20, and kernel 2.6.2-1.81.

I've seen this before on more than Fedora; it's happened when
something else was using /dev/dsp to output sound via oss/alsa, then
something triggered an event that made artsd want to output some
sound.  Not quite sure why it sucks so much CPU, though...  maybe
it's in a tight poll or select loop waiting for /dev/dsp to become
available?

--wes