Re: boot disk

Devin Whalen wrote:

Hello,

I downloaded the Fedora Core 2 from bittorrent and all 4 disks were
downloaded fine.  However, when I tried to install on my laptop I found
out that my laptop won't boot from the cd-rom.  Then I found out that
there is no bootdisk image file for the Core 2....so what am I to do.

Is there anyway to make a boot disk?

I have a laptop with no floppy drive. I have been leaving an old (and stable) copy of Mandrake Linux on the laptop. I boot into Mandrake, mount the first ISO image, copy the vmlinuz and initrd.img files to a /boot/fedora directory, rerun <lilo> so the changes take effect, and then boot into the lilo entry "Install-Fedora" which points to those files.

On the FC1 ISO these files were in /images/bootdisk.img
On the FC2 ISO I found similar files under /images/boot.iso/isolinux. These files appeared to work OK.

I have a fairly non-standard partition, OS, booting setup. Perhaps this doesn't work for everyone.
If this sounds like something that you would consider, I can provide more step-by-step instructions.