ALSA Muting (was Re: fedora-test-list digest, Vol 1 #546 - 33 msgs)

listmail said:
> Maybe in order to please this line of logic, it's not so hard to
> compromise:
> 1. mute sound for a server only install AND place a warning dialogue on
> screen.
> 2. NOT mute sound for a workstation install.

According to the install doc at alsa-project.org:

Note: All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
      or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels (for example a
      mixer from the alsa-utils package).

Seems to me that upstream defaults to muted, so FC defaulting to muted
isn't really unexpected.

Notice the lack of caring on my part one way or the other.  It's not like
your going to be reinstalling FC 2 every day or anything.

--
William Hooper