[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeabledefault of linux



On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 14:26, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 12:13, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 08:15, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> 
> > However, leaving that aside, I did/do use it and do hate the new look.
> > 
> > I frequently traverse many directories, and the fact that it opens up
> > ten's of windows upsets me. It makes it much harder to go back, or ends
> > up leaving my desktop a complete and utter mess. I didn't like it in
> > windows, but at least they gave me the choice (with out having to "jump
> > through hoops").
> 
> There are other ways to handle it that doesn't leave it an utter mess:
> 
> Shift-double click or alt-shift down (conflicts with default metacity
> keybinding) opens the folder and closes the old one.

I was admittedly not away of these key bindings, however I still don't
think this is really a valid solution, it just means that much more
effort. The number of times I would want to have another window opened
each time would be may 0.1% of the time. when I am working and desire a
new window, it's much easier just to hit CTRL + N, or some thing
similar.
I can accept that this may not be the default for many, that's why I
just said I want the option.

> File->Close Parent Folders, or shift-ctrl-w closes then parent windows
> when you've traversed to your final destination.

As above for me this is just added hassle. I remember a similar thing
being useful with IE when it spawned a billion new windows due to
pop-ups (and NO, not just porn : p). Is this what I am looking at having
to do with Nautilus?

> File->Open Location, or Ctlr-L lets you specify a pathname by typing it.

This would be my preferred option if we had tab auto-completion, or a
better method of showing multiple options to the directory structure. At
the moment i need to remember the exact folder name, and capitalisation,
this sucks.

> or, use the navigational mode.

Is this the one with the tree structure down the side?

> > > Maybe at some point before 2.6 we'll add a preference that lets you default to
> > > navigational mode. However, we'd like to force people to use spatial
> > > mode in order to flush out all bugs from it (and make some people notice
> > > that its actually nice).
> > 
> > If the "force people to use it" only applies during the testing, then
> > that is fair enough. I just hope that sentiment does not continue past
> > the testing faze as i don't really like being "forced" to do any thing,
> > especially if i don't like it, and it is considerably inconvenient to
> > me.
> 
> Yeah. Although it *will* be a hidden preference.

When you say hidden, is this the equivalent of having to go in to the
windows registry to get some thing working?

Bloody brilliant that is, not trying to be argumentative, but why can't
you just make it a nice "easy" tick option in the options boxes? If we
are afraid of cluttering up said options boxes, why can't we have an
advanced tick box to show more, or some thing similar? :(

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc 
>                    alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se 
> He's a shy neurotic cyborg who knows the secret of the alien invasion. She's a 
> hard-bitten Bolivian traffic cop from a secret island of warrior women. They 
> fight crime! 
> 




[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]