Re: up2date, mirror repositories, and performance

On 18 Feb 2004, at 20:38, seth vidal wrote:

If Fedora actually becomes super popular, it will need to scale. I'd hope that up2date would just point to a torrent tracker, and bittorrent would fetch the files. This is exactly what bittorrent is supposed to do. Too bad I couldn't code my way out of a paper bag, or I'd put my code where my mouth is.

Bittorrent does NOT work for MANY small files.
it only works well for single LARGE files or full dirs of files that
result in a large size.

<50M bittorrent doesn't payoff.

Not true, IMO. It requires very little to add a Bittorrent seed to an existing Apache server (mod_bittorrent, IRC) so why not do it? Sure, you have a bit of overhead, but it would be worth it. You could even have a BitTorrent service that runs in the background and shares the updates.

That's the only plausible explanation that I can think of that would mean BitTorrent would not be efficient (not enough users sharing at one time - but there will always be at least one - the normal HTTP server).

Also, update filesizes can sometimes be more than 20MB which is more than reasonable to spread the load with other users.

Martin Alderson,
IntechHosting

Email: martin intechhosting co uk
Web: http://www.intechhosting.co.uk