Re: Kernel-2.6.2-1.87 locking up computer

Testing out the latest two kernels that were released into rawhide. I see three problems with my system. First is it starts rhgb, then reverts back to the text screen.

Next, it gets to the mounting other file systems, then does nothing, it locks up and you cannot reboot, except for a hard reset. This failure is caused due to reiserfs. I have a regular Fedora Core 1 installation that uses reiserfs and is mounted in my /etc/fstab for my development system (FC2 development only).

If I remove the reiserfs from mounting on boot. (Remove entire reference from fstab file). The system will boot until it tries to start X. Then the X server loops.

/var/log/messages excerpt
kernel: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
kernel: reiserfs:warning: CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is set ON
kernel: reiserfs:warning: - it is slow mode for debugging.
kernel: Reiserfs journal params: device hda2, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
kernel: reiserfs: checking transaction log (hda2) for (hda2)
Feb 18 23:22:31 ... kernel: Using r5 hash to sort names

I looked at the /var/log/XFree86.0.log, the /var/log/XFree86.1.log and also the /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old log and noticed that the references were different when I booted into the Kernel-2.6.2-1.81 kernel.

In short, the kernels later than Kernel-2.6.2-1.81 are full of surprises, scary ones.

Jim