Re: Kernel-2.6.2-1.87 locking up computer

Tim Quinn wrote:
Hi Jim ---

Looks like your mouse is preventing X from loading.  Have you tried
making this change in your etc/X11/XF86Config file?

"Please modify Section "Input Device" End Section

Option "Device"
   "/dev/input/mice" or "/dev/input/mouse0"
(it probably reads something like "/dev/psaux" or "/dev/mouse" before
you change it to the above)

And change /etc/sysconfig/gpm file:

DEVICE; "/dev/input/mouse0" or "/dev/input/mice"

Good luck! tq

After removing the entry for reiserfs from the /etc/fstab file. Then changing the entry in the /etc/sysconfig/gpm to "/dev/input/mice", I had a good terminal environment. My mouse worked pretty decent.

now for the GUI information. X still crashed and gave me errors.

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "jim"
SESSION_MANAGER=local/cornette-hdb:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2206
Warning: program compiled against libxml 206 using older 205
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/rhn-applet-gui", line 30, in ?
import rhn_applet
File "/usr/bin/../share/rhn/rhn_applet/rhn_applet.py", line 12, in ?
import gnome
ImportError: No module named gnome

(nautilus:2303): Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-control-frame.c: line 720 (bonobo_control_frame_set_ui_container): assertion `frame->priv->activated == FALSE' failed

** (nautilus:2303): WARNING **: destroyed file still being monitored

** (nautilus:2303): WARNING **: destroyed file still being monitored

** (nautilus:2303): WARNING **: destroyed file still being monitored

** (nautilus:2303): WARNING **: destroyed file still being monitored

(nautilus:2303): Bonobo-WARNING **: Leaked a total of 1 refs to 1 bonobo object(s)

Basically, I think that the distro is heading to the trash heap with the errors in nautilus. The lousy dialog box for trying to open files. I was unable to get the dialog box to open any file by typing it in the box. I could not click on the file because it was a file that was prefixed with a dot. (Hidden file.)

Hopefully these bothersome distribution corruptions can be resolved before the distribution becomes released.

I would like to be able to mount reiserfs mounts and be able to configure more of the system details.

Though gconfig-editor is not as grusome as regedit. It does kind of mark linux for extinction. The program should not be used for setting hidden options to the desired level. This area should only be used so that programs can include things that are not simple text for configuration. Things like setting a programs behavior should still be included in preference setting areas.

Sorry for the rant included. Thanks for the suggestions for bypassing the current system configuration quirks.

Jim