Re: Error loading SMB mount

Rob wrote:

I am sorry if this has been discussed before, but it looks like the mail
archives are down.  I am trying to mount an smb share from one Fedora Core 2
test1 to another Fedora Core 2 test1.  When I use this command:

mount -t smbfs -o username=johndoe //192.168.1.69/data /mnt/data

I get this:

ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255

It used to work with RC1, but I am guessing it have something to do with the
new kernel 2.6.  I have been able to access the share from windoz machines
on the network, just not between the 2 fedora test machines.

you need samba-*  >3.0.2-1rc1
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/

smbfs was not and is afaik not supported in "fedora core 2 test1" with kernel 2.6.x
sure, you can compile your own kernel with smbfs-support ;-)

use CIFS instead

# mount -t cifs -o username=johndoe //192.168.1.69/data /mnt/data

--
shrek-m