[: too many arguments

Recently I noticed getting the message "[: too many arguments" when I use a terminal under gnome (gnome-terminal or aterm) when using external (not shell) commands (less, etc.). I tried several shells (bash, tcsh, zsh) and I get this with all of them. I had no luck tracking down the origin of this message. Anybody else seeing this? How about a solution?

TIA

:: Marcus