Re: Fedora Core 1 Test Update: up2date-4.1.21-2, yum-2.0.5-1

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:04:32 +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

Hello Michael,

Admittedly, I still think it's a weird idea to post these announcements to
fedora-test-list instead of fedora-list.

They are test updates. Not interesting (?) for "normal" Fedora users. Final updates are announced via fedora-announce. But a separate list for test current and test beta might be a good idea.

Users of Fedora Core 1 will be those who install the updates as soon as
they are released without having been tested enough by people who focus on
Fedora Core 2 Test1. Hence it would be good if the target group of the
update candidates learns about those Test Updates on fedora-list.

I think that discussing the problems encountered with Fedora Core 1 test packages do need to be relayed to the Fedora user list. I updates up2date at work today and encountered the problem that the bug submitted described. Others might benefit by being forewarned, except for the very heavy traffic.

But overall, I think that test updates for FC1 should be posted here. The main reason being the lighter traffic and it is a problem relating to testing a program.

I usally have not updated up2date until I finished retrieving all other programs. This was because of the fear that up2date might fail and I'd have to retrieve the programs manually. I downloaded the new test kernel and up2date. I then started up2date again to get the rest of the programs. Up2date failed. I retrieved the other rpms that were still listed by the applet. I then ftp'ed them to a local directory and ran "rpm Fvh *.rpm" Up2date still failed after upgrading the other announced programs.

I guess I should have kept with my previous practice of updating up2date last.

Jim