up2date and yum package exclusion problems

Am I am the only one wondering why up2date complains about dependency problems with packages ***not*** shown in the GUI's list of "Available Package Updates" and thus cannot be removed from said list? In this case it is rusers-server causing the immediate problem. And just so I don't seem biased, yum seems to trip over the same problem. Using exclude=rusers-server or exclude=rusers-server* in yum.conf here doesn't help so I am assuming that there is a problem with the header that neither up2date nor yum can handle gracefully. It sure would be nice if they did something sensible in this case. How come exclude didn't work? If this is operator error, someone please put me out of my misery. This isn't the first time this has happened lately.

Karen