Re: question regarding mount.cifs, samba, kernel 2.6.3

Harry Putnam wrote:

"shrek-m gmx de" <shrek-m gmx de> writes:

Bart Kalita wrote:

I'm still trying to mount remote WIN shares on FC2 after finding
"sharity" and realising that in "free" mode it allows only for 1
share to be mounted and that $: mount.cifs comes up with
"command not found" I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

shrek:

$ rpm -qpl
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/samba-client-3.0.2a-1.i386.rpm
| grep -i cifs
/sbin/mount.cifs
/usr/share/man/man8/mount.cifs.8.gz

$ cat /etc/fedora-release;rpm -qf /sbin/mount.cifs
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
samba-client-3.0.2-7.FC1

as root
eg.
# mount -t cifs -ousername=user //server/share /mnt/cifs
should work

Bart:

it works!

Are you guys aboe to write to the mounted share?

I'm able to mount the share but not write to it:

My command:
(wrapped for mail)
mount -t cifs -ousername=Administrator,password="" \
 //exp-xp/J-ahn-d /mnt/J-ahn-d

Mount shows it mounted [...] /dev/hdb3 on /arch type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdb10 on /var/www type ext3 (rw)
//exp-xp/J-ahn-d on /mnt/J-ahn-d type cifs (0)

But no write:

cd /mnt/J-ahn-d
(I can see the files with ls but:)
[root] # touch it touch: cannot touch `it': Permission denied
[reader.local.net0]/mnt/J-ahn-d

I'm curious if you guys see that `(0)' as above in mount output?

[bart nemesis bart]$ mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
//Akhram/downs on /home/bart/akhram/ type cifs (0)
//hades/music on /home/bart/music/ type cifs (0)

Yep, the (0) is there. Despite the fact that first mount is mounted as administrator.

And just one more Q, is there a possibility to have thouse volumes mounthed at boot? and am I right to thing that it would be done via cron job?

Bart Kalita MCP

www.bart-domain.com

www.astradine.no-ip.org