kernel panic

Nathan Bryant nbryant at optonline.net
Sat Jan 3 14:37:14 UTC 2004

Looking back, it seems nobody in that thread had the syntax right, it
should be root=LABEL=/ if the label of your root fs is "/"

This root= thing is actually at least 2 distinct buglets that are
becoming an overall problem that should probably be bugzilla'd as
"inconsistent support for root= option"

root=/dev/sda6 wasn't working for me with 2.6.x, and I spent some time
tearing my hair out before figuring out I needed to label things. This
will cause headaches with upgrades to FC2 for people who originally
installed redhat 6 and got to fedora through a series of upgrades (so
they dont have labelled filesystems)

And now apparently the root=LABEL=/ system may not work for some
people--I assume it applies to those who aren't using initial
ramdisks.(?) (Under what kernel versions, 2.4 2.6? This info should go
into bugzilla)

Seems both those pieces of logic in the kernel could stand to be
rewritten as a single subroutine