Installing the development branch?

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 03:38:58 UTC 2004

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Charlie Lesh wrote:
>

>>Hey all:
>>
>>What is the best way to install and run the development branch?
>>
>>Should I install core 1, then update all of my RPMs with a rawhide source?
>>Is there a more elegant and direct solution?
>>Is there a way (script?) to make the install CDs from a locally mirrored
>>copy?
>>
>>This seems like it might be a FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.
>>I don't really want to wait until the release of test1 in February to
>>start playing!
>

> Typically, at least in past, rawhide has almost never been installable so
> you need to install latest published version and then upgrade by some
> means (yum/update/apt...) to rawhide/development tree. However it seems
> that current development tree is at least occasionally installable
> directly and some effort is made to keep it that way.
>
> 	- Panu -

I tried successfully to install a clean development release and am
planning to try an upgrade ftp of a semi-rawhide version to see how it
goes. I'm going to update as far as possible with up2date first.

I just added a dvd-rw and am curious to how it will do after updated ftp
install.

I have to burn the new boot iso first to test it.

Jump right in. I have to give a gdm trace for xmms, which is broken on a
"clean" (as far as only development packages can be). There might be
some programs that "pop out" of functionality for different hardware.

Jim