Initial test of x86_64 on eMachines / Best Buy / Circuit CityM6805 notebook

Alan Santos asantos at progress.com
Wed Jan 21 20:05:39 UTC 2004

I just installed it as well last night on my new laptop and my
experiences are pretty much identical, although I haven't spent as much
time with it since the initial installation.

A few points:
Re: the X installation. I also had to create a symlink under
/usr/X11/lib/modules from /usr/X11/lib64/modules or the video would die
while complaining about not finding a couple of modules. I don't have
the machine handy to confirm that, so the path could be wrong, but it's
wherever the X mofules are typically located.  Again from memory, the
modules being complained about were pcidata and bitmap.   I have debian
(386) on another partition so I was able to grab that XF86Config file
and use that after switching it to use the vesa driver.

My ethernet card isn't working either and I haven't spent any time with
it, but I would also note that the card didn't work under the stock
debian 2.4.24 kernel. It wasn't working until I installed the 2.6 kernel
and rebuilt without acpi.

Sort of off topic, If anyone is interested in getting one, I really like
mine. The quality is nice and the machine is fast and cheap. The only
concern I have is with regard to the acpi. If it's something which is
going to require a BIOS update from emachines I'm not holding my breath.