Re: grpconv: Out Of Memory

Janina Sajka wrote:
I'm trying to dip my toe into ldap. So, I've tried using authconfig and
checking ldap. After 'next' the system becomes very busy for about 2
minutes. Eventually I see the following in /var/log/messages:

kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 31691 (grpconv).

and authconf closes.

Looking at top during this I see most of my 2 Gb of Ram and 2 Gb of swap
used, and about 25% cpu as well.

Can anyone shed light on this? Is there a bug here? Or, should this tool
run only after some by-hand configuration of ldap/slapd?

Doing a search for "grpconv:Out Of Memory linux" gave me the following links.

I first tried without specifying linux and the windows version came up during the search.

http://www.google.com/search?q=grpconv%3A+Out+Of+Memory+in+linux&btnG=Search&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

I know nothing about grpconv for Linux or Windows.

Good luck on figuring out this error.

I did get this "helpful hint" from searching through one of the googled links.

The creation of /etc/shadow and /etc/gshadow require the execution of a program to encrypt passwords. Use the commands pwconv and grpconv to synchronize the shadow files.

The link was:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialSysAdmin.html

Jim