OpenGL and the 2.6.6 kernel

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 03:07:54 UTC 2004

Chris Kloiber wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 00:51, Mike Lurk wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 17:43, Mike Lurk wrote:
>>
>>>OpenGL seems to work in windowed but as soon as you try to go full
>>>screen it just boots you out of the desktop and puts you to the login
>>>screen. I have been thinking about that for a while and I have come to
>>>the conclusion that the 2.6.6 kernel memory requirements have changed,
>>>meaning that 256 megs of system memory is not enough anymore. I did
>>
>>work
>>
>>>with FC1 and FC2. The 2.6.5 kernels did work until you went to 24 bit
>>>color and then it would restart the desktop with any opengl game
>>>(windowed or not). Go to  16 bit color and all was fine.
>>
>>which video hardware (and which drivers) is this?
>>
>>Ooops. It's an Intel based machine with I810e integrated video(16meg)
>>and a p3 600 CPU with 256 megs of system memory. Using the latest kernel
>>from your site (Arjan).
>

> That's an easy one. The Intel i810 graphics only offers 3D accel in
> 16bpp color. It's a driver limitation. See: 'man i810':
>
> DESCRIPTION
>         i810  is  an  Xorg  driver for Intel integrated graphics
>         chipsets.  The driver supports depths 8, 15, 16 and 24. All
>         visual types are supported in depth 8. For the i810/i815 other
>         depths support the TrueColor and DirectColor visuals. For the
>         830M and later, only the  TrueColor visual is supported for
>         depths greater than 8. The driver supports hardware accelerated
>         3D via the Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI), but only in
>         depth 16 for the i810/i815 and depths 16 and 24 for the 830M and
>         later.

Thanks for the information. I had a problem with one application. (xine)
  crashing the X server. I have the Intel 815 and have it set to the
maximum selection.

Intel 815 - 800 MHz Coppermine - 512 MB memory

I did not notice any differences with kernels from FC1 or FC2. Both
kernels seemed to have the same crashing symptom. I've set the
resolution and color depth to the maximum settings selectable.

Thanks,

Jim