Re: new kernel for testing

Hannes Mayer wrote:
Ed Hill wrote:

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 03:28, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

the plan is to do a kernel update friday or monday (depending on the
amount of things that turn up in this testing). There is a 424 kernel in
the testing dir on the ftp repository and on

Just tried the new 424 kernel and it has PCMCIA problems on my ThinkPad
A22p that did not occur with 2.6.5-1.358 or 2.6.6-1.422.  When manually
ejecting cards, 424 produces the following error messages on all Xterms:

kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to become free. Usage count = 1

and then there was no apparent way of restarting any networking or
getting the prompts back.  A shutdown failed to complete as systemlogger
just kept repeating the above error message (pulled power and ejected
battery to eventually shut it off).

Hi all!

I just had the same problem with ppp0 and kernel 424.

unregistered_netdevice: waiting for ppp0 to become free. Usage count = 1

First I couldn't reach outside networks anymore, I tried to restart the
VPN connection. Then the above message appeared in the console.
Killing pppd failed (even with -9). I tried to reboot, but reboot didn't
complete cause syslogd was repeating the message as in Ed's case.
I ended up in a power cycle - now it works again.

It worked perfect in kernel 391custom (just added NTFS support)

Just a quick update for you Arjan: Today I installed kernel 427 and I'm running it for 6+ hours now and the unregistered_netdevice problem is gone. Thank you very much for the great work! :-)