Re: new kernel for testing

Hannes Mayer wrote:
Ed Hill wrote:

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 03:28, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

Hi,

the plan is to do a kernel update friday or monday (depending on the
amount of things that turn up in this testing). There is a 424 kernel in
the testing dir on the ftp repository and on
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6

Just tried the new 424 kernel and it has PCMCIA problems on my ThinkPad
A22p that did not occur with 2.6.5-1.358 or 2.6.6-1.422.  When manually
ejecting cards, 424 produces the following error messages on all Xterms:

kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to become free. Usage count = 1

and then there was no apparent way of restarting any networking or
getting the prompts back.  A shutdown failed to complete as systemlogger
just kept repeating the above error message (pulled power and ejected
battery to eventually shut it off).

Hi all!

I just had the same problem with ppp0 and kernel 424.

unregistered_netdevice: waiting for ppp0 to become free. Usage count = 1

First I couldn't reach outside networks anymore, I tried to restart the
VPN connection. Then the above message appeared in the console.
Killing pppd failed (even with -9). I tried to reboot, but reboot didn't
complete cause syslogd was repeating the message as in Ed's case.
I ended up in a power cycle - now it works again.

It worked perfect in kernel 391custom (just added NTFS support)

Just a quick update for you Arjan: Today I installed kernel 427 and I'm running it for 6+ hours now and the unregistered_netdevice problem is gone. Thank you very much for the great work! :-)

Cheers,
Hannes.