ACPI Testing

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sat Jun 19 02:45:57 UTC 2004

> My experience:
>
> Precious little with power management until this week!

I wanted to keep this for a separate message:

My experiences so far haven't been successful. /proc/acpi seems to be
populated with all the right information, as best I can tell. However,
with an empty /etc/acpi/actions and an empty (apart from sample.conf)
/etc/acpi/events I guess that is not that surprising.

I did, whilst in X try shutting the lid and opening it again to see what
happened. This was the result: The machine didn't suspend -- the PCMCIA
Wi-Fi card remained on and I could see network activity from the little
flashing green activity indicator, I could hear some disk activity, and
the fan remained on. However, the screen did blank, and when I opened
the lid again it was a bit of a struggle to get it to come on again (had
to hit CRT/LCD a couple of times, and ctrl-alt-F1 ctrl-alt-F7). When it
did come on there was some unpleasant flickering. As I was unsure of
what other things the ACPI lid event might have done I ended up
rebooting.

I also, whilst in X, tried as root to

echo -n "standby" > /sys/power/state

which momentarily dropped the machine out of X, flashed something on the
screen that I didn't have a chance to read, and then returned me to X.
Thereafter the FireWire drive was unavailable. Eventually I rebooted.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com