ACPI Testing

Douglas Kilpatrick kilpatds at oppositelock.org
Sat Jun 19 03:58:42 UTC 2004

> arms for any and all of us Fedora users who are trying to get ACPI to
> work on their laptops. ACPI needs testing, and lots of feedback on what

I have a dell inspiron 8600.  Fairly new.

ACPI seems to mostly work, except for suspend/resume.  Little detail there.
kernel-src/Documentation/power/video.txt seems to match the problem.  I
have not played with the various settings.  (The one I did try once didn't
work)

The video card is a Nvidia GeForce varient.  I'm hoping the next round of
propriatary drivers will support suspend/resume.

I have gotten _software_ suspend/resume mostly working (USB has issues.
After a resume, unplugging a USB device after a resume will cause the
machine to run like the turbo switch was accidentially hit.) but the most
recent kernel updates appear to have removed some assembler bits that it
needs.

Advice:  If your laptop supports APM, continue to use it.  acpid is much
more programmable, but since the video won't come back after an ACPI
suspend/resume cycle unless you are lucky (see the video.txt file mentioned
above), APM suspend will actually WORK.  Which is probably more important.

Doug
--
Doug Kilpatrick
kilpatds at oppositelock.org