FC2 hangs on soft reboot

Joe Robertson jrobertson at convera.com
Sun Jun 20 18:23:54 UTC 2004

I am running Fedora Core 2 (final release) on a Supermicro 6013P-T.
If I do a "shutdown -r now" or ctl-alt-del to cause a reboot,
the system reboots but hangs when it tries to read the boot sector.

I have not noticed any other issues related to reading / writing
data to the hard drives.

This has sil-3112A SATA hard drive controllers.  I have confirmed
that the problem goes away if I disable the Silicon Image controllers
and use a Promise board.  Engineers at Silicon Image are convinced that
the incorrect driver is actually being loaded, another driver is
grabbing the hardware before sata_sil has a chance to, or even worse
two drivers are attempting to grab the same hardware.

The device name used to access the hard drives is /dev/hdx rather than
/dev/sdx as it should be (according to Silicon Image).
They suggested adding hdx=noprobe for all drives in grub.conf.  I tried
that
but the system simply wouldn't boot.  In /etc/modeprobe.conf, there is
an
entry "alias scsi_hostadapter sata_sil" which is correct.

Has anyone run into this before?

Is there another way to ensure the correct driver is being used?

The second suggestion from Silicon Image is "remove the PCI IDs
from drivers/ide/pci/siimage.c, which will ensure that sata_sil is the
only driver attempting to use the hardware and then recompile."

I've figured out how to modify the siimage.c file and build a new
kernel source rpm file.  However, I have not yet figured out how to
go to the next step and build a new set of kernel rpm files.  I need
to be able to package this so I can put the corrected version back into
my installation tree that I use for NFS inatalls.

Can anyone help with instructions or where to find instructions on
building and packaging a kernel?

Thanks,
Joe Robertson